Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our butcher shop in Hungary

Lot's of people don't know that in my younger age I was helping and working in my Father's Butcher Shop in Budapest. He was making everything from bologna to hot dog to the best Hungarian smoked sausage. Well, since I had to help out over the years I learned a lot including how to make some of the best Hungarian Specialties. Let me share with you some photos and re-live old memories.

Front of my Father's Butcher Shop in Budapest

Actually it is more then a buthcer shop since you can buy now everything beside food. For lunch people coming from all over the area's small offices and  shop's for lunch. He can cook and serve hot food like cooked smoked head meat, sausages at least 3 different kind, hot dogs and lot's of different Hungarian Specialties that hard to translate. All this served with fresh bread, zsemle (kind of chewy roll) or kifli which is a chewy longer shaped roll. You can see it in this photo on right side. 


Left Hungarian cottage cheese filled pastry, right the Kifli

Now let's peek inside and check out all the goodies. As you can see meat and lot's of smoked specialties in the shop. My Father, Laci and Me. Behind us smoked Debreceni Sausage links, smoked bacon.



The Butcher Shop still doing well in this economy. Just like here in the USA the Big Corporations try to squeeze out the small specialty stores but customers need and love them. I will post more in coming days.

1 comment: